Pages

January 27, 2008

I'm a little dizzy

From spinning and wool fumes, that is! Behold my first plied yarn!


The story: I tried spinning with a spindle last year and did not like the lumpy, thick yarn I produced. I was impatient with the lack of speed, yadda, yadda. The yarn sat on the spindle until yesterday.

Using a Babe Fiber Starter Wheel I got second-hand last month, I unspun the yarn as best I could. Then I did some pre-drafting and joining, and spun it up into a better, somewhat finer single. Then I wound it into a center-pull ball and plied it. Per my best guess (22 wraps on a 14 inch niddy noddy), there's about 34 yards of unbalanced (it could be much worse!) yarn. Here it is just before its bath:


My plan is to knit myself a hat. 34 yards won't be enough, but I have some cream worsted, or maybe the stash will cough up a ball in a coordinating green.

After this exercise in treadling, chair selection, skid prevention, etc. I'll spin some actual roving. I can't decide between the Cotswold gray roving or the rest of the green merino. Opinions? Oh, and there's some alpaca roving and some wool/alpaca/dog roving.

"Alpaca?" you ask. "Dog?" A few weeks ago I bought a mixed bag of fiber from a craigslist ad:
  • 2 very big pet slicker brushes possibly usable as carders
  • 2 raw Shetland fleeces (one is lamb!), about 2 pounds each
  • 24 ounces dyed yellow mohair locks
  • 2 one-ounce bags of Noil dyed silk
  • 5 ounces cream alpaca roving
  • 8 ounces gray alpaca roving
  • 2 ounces "real wool" (that's what the label says!) roving
  • 4 ounces wool/alpaca/dog roving
Here are some pictures:




This is the wool/alpaca/dog roving:

wool, alpaca, and dog roving
Do you think $20 was too much?

No comments: