Pages

April 23, 2018

There's a murder house across the street

In about 1986, our street suffered some excitement when a teenager killed his parents and sibling with an axe. His prompt arrest, conviction, and suicide followed.

Long-time residents watched over the decades as tenants and owners changed frequently; several owners made updates such as replacing doors, windows, and flooring. A backyard fence was added, too. We'd speculate about if current owners and residents knew about the house's grim history, and we assumed that informing buyers or renters was legally required, but we were universally reluctant to ask said occupants in case they didn't know.

Last week the most recent tenant (let's call her Martha) moved out and created a Free Pile which I checked out, scoring knitting magazines, books, and a big bucket of baking soda. My kind of Free Pile for sure! LOL  I took the opportunity to indirectly inquire if  Martha knew of any dramatic events that happened in the house since she'd already moved her furniture out and not sleeping there anymore. She mentioned a few things about recent tenants, but no murders. Hmm. She wanted to know, so I told her the story. She and the previous occupant had noticed negative vibes, so this bit of history validates those feelings.

It turns out that Oregon does not required sellers to identify "murder houses:"
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/93.275

That's good to know. Thanks for reading!

FYI this search promises some interesting info on today's topic.

October 12, 2017

Ignoring Gmail Certificate Changes in Eudora with Stunnel

Ignoring Frequent Gmail Certificate Changes by Getting Comcast, Godaddy, Eudora, Stunnel, and Gmail to Work Together in Windows 7


My email is now working without interruptions caused by Gmail's frequent certificate changes. I'd read that using Stunnel is a way to avoid the certificate update process. The process of making Stunnel work for me was frustrating for the people answering my questions as well as for me. Maybe this record will help someone else have an easier time of it as well as remind me how to fix it if/when I break it.

I'm posting these particular settings because my primary email requires that I use port 80 for SMTP. After trying several methods to circumvent that setting without success, it remains a requirement in this case.

After installing Stunnel as a service and leaving its configuration file unedited, I set up my Gmail personalities in Eudora by first setting the Properties for each personality to:

Generic Properties tab:
  •     SMTP Server: 127.0.0.1
  •     Use Submission Port: UNchecked
  •     Secure Sockets when Sending: Never
Incoming Mail tab:
  •     Secure Sockets when Receiving: Never
Then I closed/quit/exited Eudora, found Eudora.ini, made a backup copy, and used Notepad to open the original Eudora.ini file.

Each non-dominant persona has a section in Eudora.ini that starts out something like this where "gmailuser" and the domain varies:
---------------------------------------------
[Persona-gmailuser@gmail]
SavePasswordText=randomstuffencodingapassword==
POPAccount=gmailuser@gmail.com@127.0.0.1
RealName=Michal
ReturnAddress=gmailuser@gmail.com
DomainQualifier=
SMTPServer=127.0.0.1
---------------------------------------------
The important line is that bottom one, and it could be somewhere else in the settings for this persona or it could be missing (one of mine was despite being specified in Properties). For each gmail persona, I added SMTPPort=25 immediately after the SMTPSERVER line like this:
---------------------------------------------
SMTPServer=127.0.0.1
SMTPPort=25
---------------------------------------------
I repeated this edit for each Gmail persona, adding both lines when the SMTPServer line was missing. Then I saved Eudora.ini and closed Notepad.

After running Eudora again, I sent many test messages. I set up a group in the address book called All Personalities to simplify the addressing. I sent messages from each email address (Personality) to All Personalities, giving each subject line a unique number, and checked mail several times, watching for Task Errors, and confirming the messages all arrived. Several times. And then again. It all seems to be working correctly now.

Kudos to Jack Jackson and Katrina Knight at Eudora-Win List Server for explanations and answering my questions.