October 23, 2008

A shocking cautionary tale

Mondays are washday. While I was folding and hanging clothes out of the dryer, it bit me! See?

When I put a new belt in the dryer last year, I didn't make sure a cluster of wires was tucked away properly. When the drum rotated, it rubbed a wire, eventually wearing through the insulation, electrifying the drum. When my watch brushed the drum and the body as I pulled out some clothes, the circuit was complete and I was shocked. Fortunately only by 109 volts (as measured later). The temporary tattoo of soot is possibly from vaporized plating from my watchband.

This picture is from a few days later. You can see where the watchband links branded me.

BTW, it's almost as hard to photograph your wrist your feet! And that's a close as we get to knitting today. LOL

After I unplugged the dryer, took a few pictures for the blog, checked with the advice nurse, and quit shaking (in that order!), I called my brother who has more electrical experience than I do, and he came over and we fixed the dryer. He only told me twenty-zillion times that I could have fixed it myself, and he's right, but I was a little afraid of the dryer, even unplugged.

The moral of this cautionary tale? When you put electrical things back together, make sure the wires are away from moving parts.

No comments: