June 29, 2008

Sock Yarn, I Has It!

Starting with some red and blue mystery fluff (probably Cheviot) and some "white" mystery roving, and some pastel blue lace weight (also mystery wool), I finally produced sock yarn!

The process began with carding little red, white, and blue clouds in two steps. First I put red fiber on half the card (dog brush!) and blue on the other and carded once or twice. Then with that fiber still on the card, I added a layer of the while roving and carded once more. I made a bunch of these.

Then I spun about 3 ounces of singles, letting the colors do what they would, resulting in variously shaded red, blue, white, pink, light blue and lavender segments.

While I was happy with the single, I was impatient and didn't want to spin another one. Second Bobbin Syndrome! Also, I wanted to tone down the patriotic color combo. So I plied it with some sky blue lace weight from the stash. The bobbin wasn't big enough for all the plied yarn, so it's in two uneven balls. It will be interesting how it knits up and how durable the resulting socks are.

Stats: 450 yards, 118 grams (4.2 ounces) = fingering weight

BTW, my "cones" weigh 8 grams each. LOL And that's BBKitty whose fur's in the background; he "supervised" the "photo shoot."

No comments: