Pages

April 29, 2018

My Kneedle File is for Hooks, Too

The top of my Kneedle File looks really messy but I find it to be highly functional sitting in the top of my Ikea Raskog cart, aka my knitting cart, located next to my favorite knitting chair. The only needles and hooks that I don't store in it are my interchangeable needle sets and needles/hooks larger than US 17. Needles in WIPs don't count. LOL


My needle gauge lives here with the file in my knitting cart. Easy to find and put away. That USB cable is an Ikea Jansjo LED lamp that, so far, is just right for evening TV knitting.


While sorting through my needles, I found a bunch of  very fine steel DPNs too small to size with my gauge, so I used a digital caliper (Harbor Freight) to size and sort them. I use that method to sort sock needles too, as they increment by .25 mm and some sizes are not on the Susan Bates gauge either. I found just one gauge with all the sizes, Lacis Knitting/Crochet Gauge 8,0 To 35 Slide-On, and it's on my wish list for sure.
Lacis Knitting Needle & Crochet Hook Gauge Slide ‑ On

Peering into the US 9 pocket, you can see several needle types; my I crochet hooks (are supposed) go in that pocket, too. The cables don't usually show that much; I lifted them up to show you. Straights and long DPNs stand vertically to the sides in the appropriate sections. Even if they tip over, they're easy to find. Circulars are curled loosely and placed in the center. They get a bit tangled still, but at least they're the same size, and it's easy to pull them out to find the desired needle, and stuff them back in. That green cable? It's a hacked 45" needle for mobius projects with string trimmer line for the extra length.


Short needles got lost in the bottom, so I recently added pockets made from mini sheet protectors and decorative paper. The sheet protectors fit 5.5" x 8.5" paper, and as you can see, the decorative paper is taller. I used 12" sheets folded, taped, and labeled on both sides. Turns out they're making great tabs, too. If you're starting from scratch to make a file like this, I'd still label the file itself so you can easily see where the small needle pockets go back. Be sure to secure the paper to the sheet protector (tape, glue, staple, etc) so when you lift the pocket out by the paper, they stay connected. Ask me how I know!


This pocket for 2.25mm tools also holds a tiny sock circular. The shorter needles can fit horizontally as you see, but I haven't figured a way to make them stay vertical yet. Maybe a narrow paper pocket with a back that's 8" tall and front 3" tall. Other ideas anyone?


Did you notice that the accordion file is narrower than normal? Well spotted! LOL I used to keep it in the bottom drawer of a Martha Washington sewing cabinet but I had to hack the file so it would fit. It is possible to resize an ordinary paper accordion file, and in this case, it leaves some room to the side for a couple of interchangeable needle sets and a pencil cup.

Hope you got some inspiration! Later, Michal

No comments: